Drop chance / multiple entries in drop lists

Here you can ask your questions and post suggestions about site's development.

Drop chance / multiple entries in drop lists

Postby AegisXOR » 23 Jul 2017, 01:42

Hello,

I noticed sometime earlier this year that some NPCs and items had drop chances listed. Of course, given the nature of an MMO, one would take this with extreme skepticism. It must have been found in a client at some point. Any insights you're able to give on where this data comes from?

In addition, a related question: Many listings for "Dropped by NPC" have multiple entries for the same item. An easy example is the famous Soiled Ogre Ring.
You can see that there are three entries for the Mutant Ogre, which has the same ID, but one has no chance info, one is 15%, and one is 20%. How is this supposed to be interpreted? That there are different conditions under which different drop rates are used? Or perhaps there are multiple rolls for the same items at different percentages?

There are also some chances that are listed at probabilities higher than 100%. For example, the Ancient Artifact drop rate from the Mutant Ogre is listed at 300%. (And it also has two different entries, with different quantities.) Any clarification that anyone is able to provide would be much appreciated.
AegisXOR

Re: Drop chance / multiple entries in drop lists

Postby Administrator » 24 Jul 2017, 17:44

In the beginning all our drop tables were based on the CBT data, which became outdated quite fast. However, the drop tables were still populated manually by us and some users.
This summer, the drop data was reintroduced into the game client, and i was able to find and extract it. So at the moment, the data you see is mainly the data from the game client with some manual additions. Drop chances came from the game client also.

Regarding the duplicates.
The game has several pools of drop for each mob. Each pool has it's own selection chance. Usually the pool with lower chance has bigger quantities of items. And inside each pool each item has it's own chance of being dropped. Why some chances are higher than 100%, is still a mystery to me.

This whole situation was unclear to me from the start, so i've just combined all possible drop data into one table.
Maybe it will be better to show each pool in the separate tab. I still have to figure out some things here, before i can do it.
Administrator
Admin

Postby AegisXOR » 30 Jul 2017, 08:02

Fantastically helpful! I greatly appreciate it.

The only uncertainty left to be cleared up is whether there is an equal chance for each drop rate to be selected or whether that probability itself depends on some other factors.
(And then there's the headache of trying to figure out exactly how drop rate bonuses and +5 luck affect things, if at all...)

One point of convenience would perhaps be having a toggle to switch those drop rates between numbers and odds. Say 0.05% would become 1 in 2000.

thank you for your diligence and dedication!
AegisXOR

Postby Administrator » 30 Jul 2017, 08:28

AegisXOR wrote:Fantastically helpful! I greatly appreciate it.

The only uncertainty left to be cleared up is whether there is an equal chance for each drop rate to be selected or whether that probability itself depends on some other factors.
(And then there's the headache of trying to figure out exactly how drop rate bonuses and +5 luck affect things, if at all...)

Can't help here, i don't know how the game handles these values internally.
One point of convenience would perhaps be having a toggle to switch those drop rates between numbers and odds. Say 0.05% would become 1 in 2000.

I'll think about. The chances are more commonly used, and i like them more personally.
Administrator
Admin

Postby Marabon » 30 Jul 2017, 20:52

This could also be an option in the user panel, so it defaults to %, but you can set to use "x in n" if one wants.

That way you'll keep both options for those who want either of those ways of displaying drop chances. :)
Marabon

Postby Oveja_Negra » 12 Mar 2019, 07:20

in which part of the client may i see the drop chances?
Oveja_Negra

Return to Database development